[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 09:53:04 CEST 2007

> Kirby, those slides are interesting, but having a voiceover explaining them
> would be great.  With the work you've put into them, you should consider
> screencasting -- just flip the slides and talk into a microphone for us.

Yes, I have Camtasia Studio, did a recap of my OSCON 2005 presentation
using that technique:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2007/01/reviewing-my-oscon-2005-talk.html

> For how to do this, and an example, check out my screencast series on "Casting
> Your Knowledge, With Style" at:
>
>      http://www.showmedo.com/videos/series?name=bETR23HwS
>
> Getting some of your talks into the can and onto showmedo.com would really be
> useful.
>
> -Jeff

Yes, I'd like to.  I've been talking to Ian about getting five screencasts
uploaded (doesn't include the above).  He's got the videos, says they meet
standards, is just waiting for me to write the descriptions -- while I wait for
him to give me author status so I can do that.

Showmedo uses higher resolution than Google Video, on which squinting
at source code is rather painful.  The five in the queue include these three:
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2007/01/python-for-math-teachers.html
(the low rez versions -- require squinting).

One problem of late is Camtasia doesn't work well with my integrated
sound card in my main machine (especially since the last upgrade,
which was supposed to *fix* sound problems but made mine more broken).

They're aware of the problem and are working on it, but suggested I slip
into something more Soundblaster compatible in the meantime.  I haven't
done that yet.

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2007/06/computer-anatomy.html