[Edu-sig] OLPC: first thoughts on the first keynote at Pycon

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 18:12:35 CET 2007

On 2/24/07, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
> There may be one major semantical issue, in terms of the meaning of side
> effects when loading a module  (e.g. defining singletons, opening files,
> etc.) which is hard to deal with generically with Python. You can deal
> with is specifically in how you write your own code, but that is not a
> general solution.

Not sure I follow yet.  A module loads top to bottom, with lower defs
premised on
those previously mentioned.  Is that what you mean?  Once everything is loaded,
it's more like a __dict__, i.e. the namespace of the module of
accessible, either
via dot notation, or directly if the names are top level.

> See my previous note to Andreas for more details, including a related
> Python patch someone submitted in 2005.
>
> --Paul Fernhout

I'll wait for the IDE that passes muster as a "what you meant".  In no such IDE
is forthcoming, I'm not inclined to blame Python the language yet, as your
improvements sound tangential to the design concepts.  So far.  Maybe I'm
missing something, so keep persuading me if you like.