[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Sep 15 19:29:11 CEST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: kirby urner
Date: Friday, September 15, 2006 12:09 pm
Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000
To: Arthur
Cc: John Zelle , edu-sig at python.org

> On 9/15/06, Arthur wrote:
>
> > Trying to sing it from the Disney and HP pulpits - if nothing
> else -
> > maybe it necessarily off-key. Thinking no one would notice
> from where
> > he was singing it made it arrogantly off-key.
>
> But you see, for me, if Steve Jobs ran some humvees into Average
> Podunk U or CC, and planted a Pixar flag, opened a boot camp for gnu
> math teachers (trailers on the field), that'd probably be a big step
> up in lifestyle for the students. Flatscreens in all dorm rooms,
> professors who knew something. Once the humvees were gone,
> maybe next
> morning (a fleeting circus), students would be left with the
> impression: oh, there *is* a life after college, and it has high
> standards too (maybe higher).

There is no such thing as gnu math, so I have idea what the hell
you are talking about.

> Disney is a stronger teacher than Heidegger in my book.

And if you submit that book to the marketplace of ideas and few buy it - well,
the marketplace has spoken.  If you submit motives for a conspiracy of
suppression that ring true, that might be considered, in some circles.
You haven't, to my ear.  Your conspiracy theory seems to be in line
with Kay's - that everyone is simply dumber.

No wonder you belong to the same support group.

> If the Ivory Tower had any pride, it'd have raised the CP4E
> banner

I have zero stake in the Ivory Tower.

And I would like to bury the CP4E banner.

So the problem must be a little more complicated
than that.