[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 18:08:47 CEST 2006

On 9/15/06, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:

> Trying to sing it from the Disney  and HP pulpits - if nothing else -
> maybe it necessarily off-key.  Thinking no one would notice from where
> he was singing it made it arrogantly off-key.

But you see, for me, if Steve Jobs ran some humvees into Average
Podunk U or CC, and planted a Pixar flag, opened a boot camp for gnu
math teachers (trailers on the field), that'd probably be a big step
up in lifestyle for the students.  Flatscreens in all dorm rooms,
professors who knew something.  Once the humvees were gone, maybe next
morning (a fleeting circus), students would be left with the
impression:  oh, there *is* a life after college, and it has high
standards too (maybe higher).

> And that's just the beginning of some of my problems with the Kay's stance.
>
> But I've beaten that dead chicken into the ground by now.
>
> Art

Disney is a stronger teacher than Heidegger in my book.  Some of those
candied-ass profs are preaching up barf bag philo compared to we I get
from some of these Silicon Forest execs.  Walter Kaufmann was strong,
Rorty.  I've had some good teachers.

If the Ivory Tower had any pride, it'd have raised the CP4E banner all
on its own long ago (why should DARPA have all the fun?).  And it did,
but only over some of its towers (it's really a whole campus ya know,
not just this one minaret or whatever).