[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 39, Issue 2

Arthur Siegel ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Oct 3 04:19:51 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 16:04 -0700, kirby urner wrote:
> Or we might import the copy module.
>
> Or we might "take the whole thing as a slice" i.e. newlist = oldlist[:].

I used the list(handle1) alternative purposefully, based on Alex
Martelli's position on the matter.

The first time I heard him state a position on it was in an exchange on
python-list in which I participated precisely on the subject under
discussion re:referencing and copying

It was one of the more satisfying discussions I have had on python-list.
Apparently what I was saying was in line with some other discussion he
has having with Anna re: CookBook2, and it seemed to have some influence
in how he intended to approach the issue on "copy" in that edition.
Don't know the end result, as I have CookBook1 and haven't sprung for 2.

Here is a reference to that thread

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-August/237278.html

Guido knows that this is a favorite topic of mine and has considered me
quite the nudge for returning to it as often as I do.