[Edu-sig] Designing CS...

Kevin Driscoll driscollkevin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 02:28:39 CEST 2006

In a fascinating turn, few raised any objection to the English
emphasis.  As regular web users, they understand and value the common
language.  Some of my in-class examples use Spanish vocabulary for
variable names to emphasize the flexibility that exists in naming
variables, functions, etc. verses the f(x) = y they are familiar with.

In my experience, the critical piece to student buy-in is REALNESS.
One of my students got involved with a Magic Card group that needed
its website worked on.  He volunteered his services only to discover
that they used some homebrew PHP on the backend.  I loaned him a
"quickstart" PHP book and he spent a ton of time messing around.

We have regular programming competitions in class ("Slithers") and for
the last one, I brought in a local programmer to be a guest judge.
His presence changed the entire dynamic and many students did their
best work that morning.

Kevin