[Edu-sig] PySqueak: pyGTK & Cairo & pygtkglext (OpenGL) next?

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 23:53:21 CEST 2006

On 6/3/06, francois schnell <francois.schnell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/06/06, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
>
> - Python resources  (+ videos)
> - all the educational Python softs possible (patapata, vpython,
> Crunchy-Frog, rur-ple, "gnu-math", pyro, pygeo, pygame, pymol, etc ...)
> - Pyhon and Python bindings apps to make contents with (Blender, Gimp,
> etc) or to play games.
>
> In fact I'd like something I could show to people and say : all this
> software are done either in Python or you can tinker them with Python
> (bindings)  and if you want to  begin to discover/learn Python all you need
> is the live CD and begin playing with all these.
>
> Concerning your java options, I don't know if you've seen the Logo TNG Gui
> on OS-X :
> http://education.mit.edu/starlogo-tng/tutorial-videos/

Nice!  This is obviously not the work of hobbyists.  However, while the GUI
is impressive, I am somewhat puzzled by their choice of angle measurement: 0
degree is "up" (i.e. y-axis in the traditional notation), 90 degrees is
"right" (i.e. x-axis), etc.  So, angles are increasing in the clockwise
direction, starting from the y-axis.  I wonder what their rationale is to
use this non-conventional notation.  It reminds me of the standard choice
for the origin (top left) of screen image, with increasing y-coordinates
going down,  versus the standard mathematical choice for the origin (center
... or bottom left) with increasing y-coordinates going up.

I'm not a big Java fan but if Java applets could help to bring patapata in a
> browser with some python code background it could be important.
> For Alan Kay the browser is something to reconsider:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/olpc-software/2006-April/msg00035.html

After reading Kay's post, I can say that Crunchy Frog appears to be heading
in a similar way (fingers crossed) where you will be able to do turtle
graphics.  (And, hopefully, eventually ... embedded rur-ple :-)  Who knows,
one day, perhaps patapata will be supported in a browser using Crunchy
Frog.  (mostly Python with some javascript code and using the <canvas> tag.)

André