[Edu-sig] PySqueak: pyGTK & Cairo & pygtkglext (OpenGL) next?

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 23:23:24 CEST 2006

On 03/06/06, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
Just for feedback, I've just installed PyGTK & GTK+ 2.8 runtime & pyCairo on
a WinXP box and its really quick: 1 exe for each to double click on.
http://www.pcpm.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports/

The 3D gtkglext is more difficult for now (I didn't find any exe): => mingw
, make for win, etc ...

Maybe for very *motivated* people (under win and mac-intel), a "heavy-gear"
possibility to be sure that most things are well set-up will be a
patapata-liveCD (maybe based on something like Morphix - that I might try
this summer).

While checking this I've just found out that "pyro" made an apparently nice
live-CD (with knoppix) :
http://www.pyrorobotics.org/?page=PyroLiveCD

Actually I think it would also be useful to have a ~ "PythonWorldEdu-LiveCD"
with :

- Python resources  (+ videos)
- all the educational Python softs possible (patapata, vpython,
Crunchy-Frog, rur-ple, "gnu-math", pyro, pygeo, pygame, pymol, etc ...)
- Pyhon and Python bindings apps to make contents with (Blender, Gimp, etc)
or to play games.

In fact I'd like something I could show to people and say : all this
software are done either in Python or you can tinker them with Python
(bindings)  and if you want to  begin to discover/learn Python all you need
is the live CD and begin playing with all these.

Concerning your java options, I don't know if you've seen the Logo TNG Gui
on OS-X :
http://education.mit.edu/starlogo-tng/tutorial-videos/

I'm not a big Java fan but if Java applets could help to bring patapata in a
browser with some python code background it could be important.
For Alan Kay the browser is something to reconsider:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/olpc-software/2006-April/msg00035.html

 (And I would rather be modifying Jython than CPython,
> since Java is somewhat easier to work with than C.) So, maybe I should
> think harder about a Jython/Swing version of PataPata (at least as another
> proof of concept)?

Dear me I don't now were you find all this pluridisplinarity and energy !
I don't know what you eat (or drink) in the morning but I want to order the
same ;)

Concerning the different graphical/GUI choices I just don't now enough yet
to be useful but I'm following with interest your investigations.
Maybe, If after gathering feedback's you're not sure about the choices to
make,  I  tend to advise to go with the one you "feel" you will have the
more fun with :)
I'm quite convince of that after reading Pekka Himanen book (phD at 20 ...)
which have also an interesting intro of Torwald about the 3
(survival,social, and fun) needs :
http://www.pekkahimanen.org/
http://www.netvironments.org/ECulture/Module3/HackerEthic/

francois