[Edu-sig] Alan Kay - another one of his ideas

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 20:08:56 CEST 2006

On 16/07/06, ajsiegel at optonline.net <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:

>   But in the end I think we need to converge - if we are to converge -
> around a respect for science and its methods.

Wow  <shocking/>... what makes you think that Alan Kay doesn't respect
science and its methods ?

> What I consider to be the "assault on my sensibilities" is Kay claiming an
>
> exception for himself, to the rules of the game.

I'm not sure I understand, what Alan Kay is 'claiming' exactly ?

Are we to play by no rules whatsoever?

 "we" ? again I'm not sure what you mean exactly but Papert, Kay, Negroponte
and friends are interested in "children first" .... that's where things
become difficult to understand for teachers focused on *their* teaching
(and not on the various learning process of their pupils).

Seniority is not science. *That's* politics.

Major scientific breakthrough has been done by people having the courage of
going against the established 'politically correct' representations of their
time.

Science progress is by far not a linear process.

When you do *politics* (if you want to be elected) I guess you avoid to
disturb the main beliefs/representations in place.

Am I to accept that I have nostalgia problem, an IQ problem,
> bad eye sight?
>
> Hard, when what I think that what I have is  a good view of the hand in
> front of my face. And that this is what is causing my "problem".

Einstein said that it's  ~"hard to understand what you never experienced"
and I believe that's why he also said that  "imagination is more important
that knowledge" (ridding a photon to ~"experience" relativity, etc  ...).

Maybe you should work on your "imagination amplifier" ;)
http://www.rheingold.com/texts/tft/11.html

francois

**