[Edu-sig] More Python in the Classroom

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Feb 24 04:14:22 CET 2006

Kirby writes -

>I was thinking of Arthur's suggesting to reinforce the distinction between 'print' and 'return'.

The only thing I recall is an exchange with John Brawley that I reported here.

If I remember correctly, he was creating a VPython sphere in a fucntion, assigning a variable to the
function call, and couldn't unerstand why he was getting an attribute error when trying to
change the sphere's color.

It was simply a matter of explaining to him that since he was not explicity asking the function to return
anything, it was returning Nothing - which is Something.  So that the Something which he was trying to color was actually exactly the  Nothing Something. Not the Sphere Something.

;)