[Edu-sig] Python as Application

Grégoire Dooms dooms at info.ucl.ac.be
Thu Oct 27 15:29:01 CEST 2005

Arthur wrote:

>My route to a practical, business-oriented understanding of technology
>included - probably as its most important effort - undertaking the effort of
>learning abstract mathematics with the help of a multi-paradigm Open Source
>programming language.

Seeing multi-paradigm triggers the tought of Oz/Mozart in my brain.
Do you know Mozart? http://www.mozart-oz.org/ ?
It is a Opens-Source multiparadigm language with functional programming
(including terminal recursivity), logic (single-assignment) variables,
dataflow concurrency (through suspending thread on undetermined
variables), object-orientation, transparent distribution, and constraint
programming (did I forget one ? :-)
A recent very good introductory book uses it to travel among the world
of the different programming paradigms:
"Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming"
http://mitpress.mit.edu/0262220695

I found many things similar to Python stuff in there and I think both
languages could benefit from each other.
Best,
--
Grégoire Dooms