[Edu-sig] Microsoft's KPL

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sun Oct 9 19:52:47 CEST 2005

> What time it is in Tokyo, when it's midnight in New York?

I can't point to the moon either, but I'm working on it.  Stellarium and
Celestia a big help.  OMSI too.

> Outside the context the concept of the history of our confrontation with
> time and timekeeping, you are talking about trivialities.

As in Trivium?  Not really.  Astra, along with Angulos (angles, geometry)
was a Quadrivium subject.  Still is.

> When my students have begun to understand something of the hidden depth
> connected to these questions, as for example as presented interestingly
> in "Einstein's Clocks, Poincare's Maps - Empires of Time" by Peter Galison
> 2003 and only then, might I allow a one word answer to the question of
> what time is it in Tokyo?
>
> Do you understand what time it is in Tokyo?
>
> According to whom?
>
> Art

According to a network of atomic clocks synched with GPS satellites and
monitored in Japan as surely as in Colorado.