[Edu-sig] URNER (/sigs/edu-sig) signing off (temporary?)

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sat Nov 26 08:17:34 CET 2005

                         MEMO
                     Nov 25, 2005

FR: Kirby Urner, manager edu-sig web page
TO: pydotorg (python.org web site management)
RE: Turnover in edu-sig webmaster position

Some weeks ago I managed to rescue my page management powers, which had
lapsed in the conversion from CVS to SVN.  However, after much mucking
about, it turned out I didn't have final check-in privileges (I could only
post changes to an interim server), although some assurance was given that
one day I would, once the new infrastructure was in place.  In the meantime,
I got over 5000 spam on pydotorg over Thanksgiving, maxing out my Qwest
inbox in the time I was away.

Given the tradeoff between not having real management powers in python.org,
and getting 20-30 spam every hour or so, I've decided to hang up my tiny
credential (manager of sigs/edu-sig -- just the page, not the mail list).
I'd be happy to pick it up again someday if python.org managers decide
they'd like me to.  Anyway, I think it makes sense to keep rotating that
position, i.e. keep passing the baton.  That's how I set it up as first
webmaster for BFI (bfi.org):  keep some turnover in the webmaster position.

Makes sense.