[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 22, Issue 26

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Sat May 28 14:57:34 CEST 2005

>The fact that CS students might resist Python on the basis of an impression
>that it is a "toy scripting language" surprises me not in the least.
>
>Of course that is a mis-impression.
>
>But one that has only been exasperated by an initiatives like CP4E.
>
>Perhaps Python would be better thought of more like Lisp had been - as
>something that a CS student *should* know. Because of its depth, but its
>ease.

When I say that "python is easy" I don't mean it like "falling down is
easy".
It is more like "a nail gun is easy".  Compared to pounding nails in with a
hammer, a nail gun is much faster and much better. That does not mean
that you can use it everywhere, and it certainly does not mean you can
use it without some training.