[Edu-sig] Graphical Programming and OOP

Jeffrey Elkner jeff at elkner.net
Sat Mar 26 17:43:21 CET 2005

While your analogy may be out in left field (if baseball is the game we
are thinking of), it is still very much in the ball park ;-)

The only thing I would add is that the "traditional sense of what
teaching a subject has come to mean" is in the process of changing.  I
am actually only trying to do what I was told to do when I began
teaching math 13 years ago.

All the math teachers in my school system had a two week long workshop
by Discovering Geometry author Michael Serra.  I left that experience
with two ideas that I think about often:

1. Students learn best by doing, not by hearing.
2. Given 1, the teacher needs to move from being the "sage on the stage"
to becoming the "guide on the side".

"Guide on the side" sounds a lot like coaching to me ;-)