[Edu-sig] Computer Programming is Fun! Beginning Computer Programming with Python

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Sun Jun 26 04:34:53 CEST 2005

Hi fellow EDU-SIGer's -

A few times over the last year I have mentioned on this list my project to
write a beginning programming book using Python. At least one edu-sig
subscriber has used this book successfully in teaching an 8th-grade
programming class.

My book is now ready for sale to the public. Here is the "official"
announcement:

Written by a homeschooling Dad and professional software developer,
"Computer Programming is Fun!" fills a need for a book that teaches
computer programming to teenage youth.

The author set out to write a book like the one he used to teach himself
programming at age 12. In the 1980's programming students began learning
with BASIC, but for the new millenium the author chose the more modern
Python language. Python is used by NASA, Google, and George Lucas'
Industrial Lights and Magic, but is simple enough for beginners to learn.

Testimonial:

    Mr. Handy

    I got my program to work! I thought today's lesson was really good, I
    espically [sic] liked the section where you told about how sound and
    other stuff actually works. I liked your theme song, and using these
    notes I can make a soundtrack for future space battles.

    (An 11-year-old in North Carolina)

This book has been successfully used by both homeschooling families and
public school teachers. A syllabus outline at the beginning of the book lets
you select the lessons you want from one of three learning tracks: a data
processing track, a video game track, or a simple turtle graphics track,
depending on the student's interests and level of learning.

All necessary software, including the Python programming language and sample
programs, are included on a CD in the back of the book. This book is geared
for either self-study or classroom use. Neither the student nor the teacher
need have any prior programming experience.

208 pages, $29.95 plus taxes and shipping if applicable

Order from the author's web site:

    http://www.handysoftware.com/cpif/

"Why teach computer programming to teenagers? For the same reason you would
teach them piano or any other musical instrument. Consider the computer an
instrument for the mind."

David Handy
cpif at handysoftware.com
(919)773-9881