[Edu-sig] UPDATE 3: High School Network Security

Frank Noschese francesconoschese at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 10 03:57:57 CEST 2005

Hi everyone,

The Movable Python CDs worked very well and many students have created some
very cool programs: projectile motion simulators, simple harmonic oscillators,
Lorenz attractors, and Sierpinski pentagons, to name a few.

By far the best thing about using VPython with beginners (as I'm sure you'd
agree) is how "lenient" you can be when programming: creating variables
whenever you'd like, not having to declare variable types, creating additional
object attributes easily, using default attribute values, etc.  It definitely
makes programming more accessible.  The graphing package and the built in
vector operations in VPython were a big help, too!

Based on the success of the student projects, I am looking to make VPython an
integral part of our AP Physics curriculum next year, rather than the
afterthought it was this year.

Believe it or not, I am meeting with some people from our technology team on
Tuesday (as per their request) to discuss how to "safely" install VPython on
the school network.

Another success story!  Thanks again to everyone for their kind support!

Frank Noschese
John Jay High School
Cross River, NY