[Edu-sig] 3d goggles -- any recommendations

Hans Fangohr H.FANGOHR at soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 14:48:30 CET 2005

Hi John,

> There are lots of sources for the cheap (<= $0.40 US) anaglyph (red-blue)
> glasses on the net. I have recently ordered from RainbowSymphony and had
> decent results (not wild about the packaging but otherwise fine).
>
> As for the shutterglasses, it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
> There are some cheap ones (VR-Joy has a pair for under $100) that can be used
> with any video card, but they require either:
>
> 1) special software drivers that convert regular OpenGL code to
> frame-swapping stereo. This software usually is designed for games under
> windows. (i.e. NOT vpython or VTK apps and generally not under Linux.)

Right. I had seen a pair of glasses of this type some years ago (indeed on
a windows machine); and this is what I was thinking of to get now.
However, if neither VPython nor VTK is supported (or supports it --
whatever way round you want to read this), then it won't help much.

> 2) use of interlace mode. This requires your images to have left and right
> eye interlaced. Effectively halving your vertical resolution. At the moment,
> neither VPython or VTK supports this, although I had intended to add this to
> the VPython mode, and just never got around to it.
Just to use this occasion to congratulate you on (your contribution to)
VPython. It is an excellent educational tool. I'll be using it this year
in my lectures for 2nd year Aerospace Engineering students.

> Otherwise, you are talking about investing in a quad-buffered stereo card. I
> doubt if you can find this in the price range you are talking about. If so,
> it would be a very low-end product. I can't say that I've looked into this
> very recently.
>
> If you told us a little bit more about what you are hoping to accomplish, I
> might have some ideas for you. We've done quite a bit of playing with stereo
> display here (I am one of the principle authors of the VPython stereo mode).
> If you've got a couple protable LCD or DLP projectors available, you can put
> together a nice portable, full-color, multiple viewer stereo display system
> for the price that you're considering. You might check out some of the things
> we've done on this page:
> http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/SVEN
Very useful comments, and a very useful paper you provided the link to --
many thanks.

I was looking for some VR visualisation for two purposes:

(i) "simple" for class room use with many students, and in seminars. From
what you say, Red-Blue glasses seems best for this, and both VPython as
well as VTK support them.

(ii) higher quality facilities (something like quad shutter-glasses, or
polarising glassed) for use in a research environment for one or two
people. However, having read your paper and not having the funding either
of these technologies, I might just go for red-blue here, too.

Many thanks for your help,

Hans

email : fangohr at soton.ac.uk