[Edu-sig] 3d goggles -- any recommendations

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Wed Feb 9 19:49:04 CET 2005

Hans,

There are lots of sources for the cheap (<= $0.40 US) anaglyph
(red-blue) glasses on the net. I have recently ordered from
RainbowSymphony and had decent results (not wild about the packaging but
otherwise fine).

As for the shutterglasses, it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
There are some cheap ones (VR-Joy has a pair for under $100) that can be
used with any video card, but they require either:

1) special software drivers that convert regular OpenGL code to
frame-swapping stereo. This software usually is designed for games under
windows. (i.e. NOT vpython or VTK apps and generally not under Linux.)

2) use of interlace mode. This requires your images to have left and
right eye interlaced. Effectively halving your vertical resolution. At
the moment, neither VPython or VTK supports this, although I had
intended to add this to the VPython mode, and just never got around to it.

Otherwise, you are talking about investing in a quad-buffered stereo
card. I doubt if you can find this in the price range you are talking
about. If so, it would be a very low-end product. I can't say that I've
looked into this very recently.

If you told us a little bit more about what you are hoping to
accomplish, I might have some ideas for you. We've done quite a bit of
playing with stereo display here (I am one of the principle authors of
the VPython stereo mode). If you've got a couple protable LCD or DLP
projectors available, you can put together a nice portable, full-color,
multiple viewer stereo display system for the price that you're
considering. You might check out some of the things we've done on this page:
http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/SVEN
Unfortunately, I don't think any of the VTK stereo modes work with our
setup, but some other packages do (e.g. VPython and the molecular
modeler PyMol).

--John