[Edu-sig] Beyond CP4E

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sun Apr 17 20:59:15 CEST 2005

> Sorry to harp, but counting roses in Shakespeare does not pass the smell
> test there.

<<SNIP>>

> Art

A bit 'o searching on Google this AM:

=====

"""
The youth is praised not only for his beauty, but for inward truth as well.
Those whose beauty is composed only of externalities are compared to wild
and scentless roses, whereas those who have inward worth, like the youth,
are compared to true roses, which are grown for their scent as much as for
their looks.

The comparison of the young man with a rose is a constant motif throughout
the Sonnets, commencing with 1, then here, and in 67, 95, 98, 99, and 109.
In 67 it is also combined with truth.
"""

[http://www.shakespeares-sonnets.com/54comm.htm ]

A line-by-line commentary on Sonnet 54 follows.

======

Also if interest:

Regular Expressions for Poets
http://www.robotwisdom.com/net/regexps.html

And how about this:  visualizing social networks in Shakespeare's plays:
http://www.jibble.org/shakespeare/ (links to animations -- I have social
network in 'Anthony and Cleopatra' going in Media Player).

Were you aware of:
http://www.ach.org/

Interesting map:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/allc/reports/map/mapframe.html

Sample articles in Literary & Linguistic Computing:

John Bonnett
New Technologies, New Formalisms for Historians: The 3D Virtual Buildings
Lit Linguist Computing 2004 19: 273-287; doi:10.1093/llc/19.3.273

Martyn Jessop
The Visualization of Spatial Data in the Humanities
Lit Linguist Computing 2004 19: 335-350; doi:10.1093/llc/19.3.335

Ron Van den Branden
Electronic Texts in the Humanities. Principles and Practice
Lit Linguist Computing 2004 19: 243-246; doi:10.1093/llc/19.2.243

Didn't have to walk to any library, and had I done so, I'd have likely just
used Google there (Multnomah County Library, Belmont Branch isn't Firestone
@ Princeton).