[Edu-sig] re: Beyond CP4E

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Apr 15 22:16:01 CEST 2005

Kirby writes-

>I think you're in denial that something new has emerged, and that education
>(however we want to define it) will never be the same as it was.

And I think you are exhibiting mystical tendencies.

What is new is going to solve problems with which
it has no connection, otherwise why would have been put here.

You are also saying it is in inevitable.

>For me, the key questions all revolve around how to best take advantage of
>computers, not on whether to use them or not use them.  We're going to use
>them -- that's a premise I start from.

>You go fight with the nature of things.  I've got better things to do.

If you are making a political statement about my being quixotic
in trying to fight this battle, and expecting to win -
you are probably quite correct.

Once a politcal force convinces that its victory is inevitable,
its victory is in fact inevitable. The quintessential  self-fulfilling
prophecy.

I do think that the fact that someone of your profile accepts
the prophecy is a good indication I am at this point in fact
fighting the nature of things.

But you are good at questioning where we are, not as good
 - IMO - in understanding how we got to where we are.

We will only be only getting there once again,
now in a new way.

Being fooled again.

Thrilling.