[Edu-sig] Beyond CP4E

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Fri Apr 15 17:48:10 CEST 2005

> Are you in fact advocating this as a sensible, meaningful way to approach
> Shakespeare.  In any way. Under any circumstances. We should pick the work
> apart rather than take it in.

I think you over-romanticize.  Scholars use key words to index into works
all the time.  I don't know if 'rose' was a great example, but I can easily
imagine a teacher wanting to look at references to planets, gold, other key
words.  Who knows exactly why.

===
Your search term was found in the following:

# Timon of Athens - Act I. Scene I
cond lord he pours it out; plutus, the god of gold,is but his steward: no
meed, but he repay
# Timon of Athens - Act II. Scene I
waste? it cannot hold; it will not.if i want gold, steal but a beggar's
dog,and give it tim
# Timon of Athens - Act II. Scene II
. poor rogues, andusurers' men! bawds between gold and want!all servants
what are we
# Timon of Athens - Act IV. Scene II
erve his mind with my best will;whilst i have gold, i'll be his steward
still.exit
# Timon of Athens - Act IV. Scene III
d by that below: the learned pateducks to the golden fool: all is
oblique;there's nothing le
# Timon of Athens - Act V. Scene I
the rumour holdfor true, that he's so full of gold?painter certain:
alcibiades repor
===

Sure I'll pick Shakespeare apart any day, with or without regular
expressions.  I'll even put his Collected Works on an operating table under
bright lights, and cut into it with a scalpel, just to hear the romantics
bleat.

Does that mean I can't appreciate Shakespeare?  Do romantics own him?

> It says it all, in fact.
>
> Art

Maybe so, maybe so.