[Edu-sig] Beyond CP4E

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Apr 15 15:34:30 CEST 2005

Before it "came to pass" that I felt undereducated in mathematics, I felt
undereducated as to my religious heritage, and more generally, the roots of
the culture in which I lived. And came to the conclusion that it was
important to my own intellectual development that I learn to appreciate the
Old Testament in the language in which it was written. And did try to bring
technology to bear to help - feeling that if I could see the Hebrew word in
different contexts, and how it was translated into English in different
contexts, I could begin to grasp the shades of its meaning.  The search and
concordance tools were easily available.

The approach offered no substantial help, to me. It was too disjointed a
methodology. I made progress without technology - but the diversion into an
approach that included the use of technology turned out to be only a
diversion.

When I turned to the study of mathematics, technology became the center
around which I progressed.  Python was at the center of that technology.

None of this is surprising.  At all.

All I find surprising is to need to talk about it as if it were surprising.