[Edu-sig] FW: RFS: python-visual - VPython 3D scientificvisualization library

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Apr 9 21:05:58 CEST 2005

> Behalf Of JanC
> > Floris Bruynooghe has created a VPython Debian distribution and is in
> > process of attempting to have it accepted as "official" Debian package.
>
> > Obviously I would like to see Floris successful.  This would, for
> example,
> > make is possible to see VPython available in the ubuntu "universe" of
> > packages. A very good thing, IMO.
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but AFAIK Ubuntu doens't _require_ the package to
> be in Debian before they accept it?
>
> You might ask on the ubuntu-devel mailing list or on the #ubuntu-motu
> channel on the Freenode IRC network (MOTU = Master Of The Universe,
> the 'title' given to the maintainers of universe).

Yes.

What I had already done is contacted Floris to make sure he was aware of
ubuntu, suggesting that the ubuntu folks might have a particular interest in
seeing a well maintained Debian packaging of VPython, considering their
general favorable inclinations toward Python.

Turns out he is in fact a ubuntu user, and enthusiast.

And he seems to imply in his response that the avenue he is pursuing was
what he thought was necessary to have VPython accepted into the ubuntu
universe - or at least the course of least resistance in doing so.