[Edu-sig] Ubuntu

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Oct 31 16:53:36 CET 2004

Couldn't get the Linksys wireless card working on the Dell Latitude
Win2k machine that sort of fell off a truck and into my possession.

I was meaning to try Ubuntu anyway.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

Ubuntu is a 1 CD debian based Linux desktop.

I think Mark Shuttleworth has something to do with its creation.  Anyway
its Python friendly.

It recognizes my wireless card and finds my home wireless network on
install.

Beyond that  - it ends up putting me onto a gnome desktop that's
extremely sparse and extremely pleasing.

Just the aesthetic quality of things like the Ubuntu logo, and default
desktop background, give one s sense of something special.

Which I truly sense Ubuntu to be.