[Edu-sig] Whither PyGeo?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Oct 30 02:25:13 CEST 2004

Just thought I'd throw out a Python success/failure story.

The failure part:

Have not gotten it together to issue a new release of PyGeo for almost 2
years.  Not that I haven't been tinkering with it constantly, and working on
some other essentials like decent docs, etc. And not that I still don't
think it's cool (and gotten significantly cooler). But it ain't there yet.

The success part:

The main reason I have not had to time to polish off a release of PyGeo is
not surprising - I gotta make a buck, and that has to take priority, and
that takes time.  The surprising part, to me, is how I'm making a buck these
days - largely as a developer. Which is a pretty full circle mid-life career
change that I seem to have pulled off. I'll never be a developer in the
sense that many in the Python community are.  But I've pulled off some
decent stuff where the problem domain was financial. I seem to able to
compensate for modest development skills with strong background in business
financial issues, and have as a result developed a word-of-mouth freelance
development practice successful enough to keep me away from much time at
PyGeo, but with a family fed.

And while I do not develop in Python professionally - most of the skills
I've developed, I've developed in Python. And any code I'm writing, I'm
thinking in Python, and translating as necessary.

Thought I owed Python at least that little testimonial.