[Edu-sig] Network-safe Python Install for school use? Thanks for suggestions!

BJ MacNevin brian at macnevin.net
Sun Mar 21 14:10:36 EST 2004

Thanks everyone for your suggestions in this frustrating experience. I have
decided that since I can get more flies with honey than I can with vinegar
(which I hate, but okay, I gotta' do it), I'll try the following a route the
progressively brings question to their technical prowess as a last resort:

1) Inquire from them the actual make-up of the district's networking
software so that -- just fo rmy own peace of mind -- I can figure out what
things they *should* be able to do.

2) Inquire from my district's IT department what, specifically, are the
things that Python will allow students to access on the network that they
fear.

3) Inquire from the IT department if they would still worry about things
with the networking removed from Python.

4)  Inquire from them the structure of permissions used on the district
network.

5) Ask them about making the computers CD-ROM-bootable (right now CD-ROM
booting is not enabled) to allow a liveCD (though this might still be able
to access the network, I guess).

Well, it's a start and it's not really a decision or a "path" I guess... but
at least it is a start to getting some kind of answers.

Thanks again,
BJ MacNevin