[Edu-sig] re: Network-safe Python Install for school use?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Mar 20 10:22:26 EST 2004

> Art,
>
> At first glance LiveCD is an interesting solution. But the problem
> with it is that I want to be teaching (and learning) Python, not
> Linux. I don't think it will work to take a student whose background
> is in Windows, throw him/her on a Linux box and say, "Let's write
> some Python!"

Are you sure?  The beauty of a focused LiveCD is that the desktop can be
configured specifically to the targeted task.  One icon.  Push it. IDLE
fires up. In the simplest case.  But in any case it is all graphical and
should not seem tremendously unfamiliar.

In short, I think the fact that you can be working from a focused,
uncomplicated, custom graphical desktop is a plus, not a negative.

The issue that I see is a way of saving one's work.  Mounting the Windows
drive in an appropriate spot.  I frankly am not far enough into it to
understand what the possibilities are here.