[Edu-sig] Re: In defense of 0, was Re: None potato, one potato, two potato, more..

Trent Oliphant trent at oliphant.org
Mon Jan 5 12:58:44 EST 2004

>>So the indexing notation [n] could be considered shorthand for [n:n+1]? You
>>are taking a slice of len 1 starting at n?
>>

> I would say it's the object that lays n cm from the beginning, but
> since each item is 1cm wide the effect is the same.  The first object
> is, of course, 0cm from the beginning.

I know this is nit picking, and you yourself said you only use it
explain to your scouts.  I would argue that the use of the model without
the explaination of it being a form of shorthand would be contradictory
with the fact that it takes a beginning and an ending to describe
anything of any width.  The effect is indeed the same, but I think it
makes other things much easier to understand if you complete the model.
  Since you describe that each item has a width.  I think it makes
slices easier to understand the notation.

I do like the model, because I have now been able to resolve the
inconsitencies with the negative notation.

For example:

If I look at [-2] as shorthand for [-2:-1], it is no longer based on 0
or 1 based indexing, but the item that starts at position 2 from the end
of length one. ([-1] would be shorthand for [-1:])

Trent