[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Dec 27 21:08:47 CET 2004

Dave writes:

>I've used gtk/pygtk quite a bit and gtkglext with pyopengl a little bit.
>I suggest you take a look at glade for designing the interface along
>with libglade for parsing it. You can find a number of
>articles/tutorials about using it here (yes, one of them is by me and
>discusses glade/libglade):

Thanks for this tip.

And there is this artcle as well, linked from the site you reference:

http://primates.ximian.com/~sandino/python-glade/

I find it quite reassuring to see such recent dates on these kinds of articles.

And am getting a bit excited about getting hands-on with all this.

It's interesting to see that Hilaire Fernandes also wrote some articles on
the subject of PyGTK/Glade. I know of him as a worthy competitor -
the author of Dr. Geo (http://www.ofset.org/drgeo ) - and a moving force behind

The Organization of for Free Software in Education and Teaching

http://www.ofset.org/

I did not know of any interest/involvement he had directly with Python
before this, however.

And related to prior discussion, this CookBook recipe allows one
to experiment with building PyGTK GUI components from the interactive
prompt:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/65109

There is another such python module out there providing this functionality,
but I don't find it out the moment.

I'll have to try doing VPython inetractively through this mechanism
and see if it tells me anything.