[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Mon Dec 27 00:56:37 CET 2004

In a message of Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:40:28 EST, Arthur writes:
>Wonder what determines one's taste here.  My preference for Gnome is a
>strong one.

Huge factor:  we think Gnome is _really_ _really_ _ugly_.  Now why either
a) you don't or b) you don't care  is one of those _really hard_ questions
about cultural differences, that is very hard to answer.

The other thing is, of course, that around here, if you want Gnome, you
have to ask for it.  KDE is what comes up, everywhere.  Plenty of people are
unaware there is a choice.  This cuts two ways -- consulting in the USA,
I kept being stopped by people who wanted to know 'what is that window system
you are using?'  They had never seen it before ...

One place I consulted to, 2 days after I started, set out a new policy.
'All people must use Gnome'.  I don't think that was in reaction to the amount
of work lost in 2 days as it seemed everybody in the office wanted to see KDE,
but I could be wrong.  At any rate, I cared enough about it -- and things were
wrong at that place in enough other ways, that I said 'This isn't going to work
out.  See you. '

Laura