[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Dec 27 00:40:28 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 23:50 +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:

> While you are preparing judgements -- both wxPython and The Gnome Desktop, hence
> the GIMP, GTK and PyGTK are more popular in North America than they
> are in Europe.  We are vastly more likely to use KDE than Gnome.  wxWindows
> is not all that popular here: I am trying to think of a single site that uses
> is, and coming up empty.  But I can think of 10 QT sites off the top of my head.
> Anecdotal for sure, but I don't think I am useless as a barometer of local
> popular sentiment.

Novell seems to read the same barometer:

Taking the same tact as ubuntu, offering either and supporting both.

Wonder what determines one's taste here.  My preference for Gnome is a
strong one.  I think it was KDE and efforts at mixed and mixed-up
KDE/Gnome efforts that kept me away from the Linux desktop for some
time.  ubuntu's clean Gnome/GTK got me excited again.