[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sun Dec 26 22:09:22 CET 2004

> An open question to me in making a commitment toward learning PyGTK was
> its status with OpenGL and PyOpenGL.  Turns out the situation looks
> quite good - in that the developer of gtkglext which is the most active,
> I think, gtk Opengl extension is also himself the developer of its
> Python binding PyGtkGLExt. I have it installed and working and it looks
> quite nice.
>
> http://gtkglext.sourceforge.net/
>
> Art

I just took a look at the PyGTK 2.0 Tutorial
http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2tutorial/index.html

Very encouraging to see that much documentation spelled out in a usable
format.

However, I'm still curious:  do you see PyGTK as a better way to spend your
time than with wxPython? Wx has OpenGL bindings as well, has for quite some
time.  Also, wxPython has that very useful front end:  when you download it,
you get a huge pile of working code in the form of demos, all wrapped up in
a well-organized wx GUI interface.  I find that extremely cool.

However, since VPython is its own thing, I've never been able to wrap my
head around a way to treat VPython from within wx the same way I might treat
OpenGL (not that I've done the latter either -- but the demo is persuasive).

If wx had some way to establish a VPython window within its own unified
event loop, that might lead to a next generation of Pygeo, no?