[Edu-sig] editor for children (was Re: explaining functions [Possibly OT])

Reuben Grinberg reuben.grinberg at yale.edu
Mon Dec 13 08:17:13 CET 2004

Vi/ vim and emacs are great editors for programmers that have the time
to learn all their functionality. However, the learning curve for both
of these editors is steep. They are extremely different from anything
most students are familiar with (namely Microsoft Word, Notepad, Text
Areas in web apps, etc...) It's especially disturbing when you open one
of these for the first time and can't seem to quit! I mean, ESC-:q and
C-x C-c – pretty intuitive, huh?

Nedit is a pretty good editor (http://www.nedit.org/) in several
respects. It has syntax hilighting for many programming languages, uses
the mouse and arrow keys, has menus, and uses familiar keyboard
shortcuts such as Control-C (copy) Control-V (paste), Control-X (cut),
^S (save), ^O (open), ^W (close), ^Q (quit), ^P (print), etc... There's
basically no learning curve at all, but there are lots of advanced
features that are easy to get to.

The downside is that it's not straight-forward to install on non-linux
machines (on most linux machines, just type nedit into a terminal and
it should launch. On Windows, it can be installed using Cygwin. Nedit
has a native binary for OS X and it can also be installed using Fink.

My 2 cents,
Reuben Grinberg

P.S. I'm a 4th year CS major at Yale. For the record, I use emacs,
pico, nedit, and xcode to do most of my coding. Every once in a while
I'll use Eclipse for a project, but I find it really annoying to set
up.