[Edu-sig] How do we tell truths that might hurt

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Apr 26 09:53:50 EDT 2004

> > With material like this, one requires additional background i.e. what
> it's
> > used for etc.

Yes, give it context.

Which has inspired me to try to better practice what I preach, and dive into
a book on my shelve:

"The Sleepwalkers - A History of Man's changing Vision of the Universe"
Arthur Koestler, 1959

It covers the period:  Beginning <= Newton
With about 25% of its 600 pages focused on the work of Kepler.

I am expecting that digesting this work will make solving the equation a
more meaningful exercise than that of just solving an equation.