[Edu-sig] the state of the link

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Tue Apr 20 20:34:53 EDT 2004

Yes, I noticed the email and wanted to reply to it. The problem is that I
wanted to give you a well-worded answer, and I just couldn't come up with
one in the short time I have.

My experience is that Edgar Djikstra is right. It turns out that
zero-based indexing with assymetric bounds is the right way to go.  I have
tried to implement things like string parsing in a 1-based index language
(BASIC) and in a zero-based index language (C/C++) so I know the
difference. I was going to write up some examples of just how cumbersome
1-based indexing can become, but I just don't have the time for it. If you
are skeptical then you just have try it to experience these problems
yourself. :)