[Edu-sig] Question ?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sat Apr 17 14:49:18 EDT 2004

On Saturday 17 April 2004 09:35 am, Arthur wrote:
> What is the opposite of programming?
>
> Cooking.
>
> In a recipe, a tsp. means a tsp., more or less.
>
> In programming, we would be talking about the number of grains of a specific
> substance.  If the recipe calls for 1004 grains, and 1003 are added, the
> soufflé falls.

That's really a bit of a fallacy -- if we really had to
program like that, a lot of stuff wouldn't get done. Modern
programming techniques (Object-Oriented, Component-Architecture, etc)
do a lot to make program writing more forgiving in ways that
don't interfere with the final product.  Even the python language
can be thought of as making that kind of trade-off, as it includes
a lot of error-checking and handling code that means that a somewhat
imprecise file can still work.

That's more like "programming in assembly language".

This has made life a whole lot easier! :-D

Cheers,
Terry