[Edu-sig] C vs Java

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Tue Apr 13 03:09:20 EDT 2004

Java is a high-level language, like Python, but more difficult for no
good reason.  I don't know why you'd want to learn it, unless someone
is paying you.

C/C++ will never die.  Java, Python, Perl, and other high-level
languages are written in C.  C is worth learning if you need your
programs to be especially fast and efficient at run-time.  It's harder
than Python though, because you have to keep track of memory yourself,
function calls aren't flexible like they are in Python, there's some
silliness to the syntax, you have to keep track of the types of your
data, there are no built-in data structures, ...  Python gives you a
lot for free.  But C is deeper into the machine, closer to the
hardware, satisfying in its own way.

Have fun and good luck!

Marilyn Davis