Blender, was Re: [Edu-sig] re: A bit o Python in Physics

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Nov 26 13:40:07 EST 2003

OTOH, although I had a very daunting impression from looking
at the interface (Bear in mind I only spent about 30 min
using the tutorial and playing with it), my 8 yr-old son
managed to start drawing wireframes after an hour or two of
playing with it (I don't think he's gotten as far as
rendering anything).

Which makes me think it may be more a matter of initial
fear than actual difficulty in the interface.

It is extraordinarily complex, though. I can imagine that
had AutoCAD set out to have full GUI control instead of
using text commands, it might've looked like this.  I note
especially the use of meta-controls to swap out different
control panels.

It's clearly targetted at expert users who want quick access
to the features -- it's meant for commercial production use,
after all.

And isn't it cool that it's now Free?!

I really need to block out some time to work all the way
through the tutorial.

Cheers,
Terry