[Edu-sig] re: TeachScheme

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:39:26 -0400

[Arthur]
> http://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/mailarch/plt-scheme-2000/msg00676.html
>
> Thought I would do a little google to test my theory about whether the
> TeachScheme guys feel abused.
>
> My intuition gets (another) A+ grade.

The referenced msg appears to be 3 years old, and it's no secret they felt
abused in 2000 -- CP4E was a hot topic, and at the time it appeared to be on
track to get additional & significant funding.

> Anybody can feel abused about anything.

People in the Scheme world specialize in it <wink>.

> The question is to what extent they have a legimate case.

Guido made changes to his proposal based on Matthias's specific complaints
at the time.

> You know my feelings.
>
> How do we go about being less subject to this kind of criticism, to
> the extent it is righteous criticism?

Are they still sniping at Python?  Fine, if so and they enjoy that, but I
haven't seen any of that lately.  The only effect of this resurrection I've
seen is that Kirby removed the link to TeachScheme from the Edu-SIG page.
If that prevents someone from stumbling into TeachScheme who otherwise would
have, I'd judge it a net loss.  It's a wonderful project, even if it suffers
from too much intellectual depth at the expense of shallow hacking <wink>.