[Edu-sig] re: TeachScheme

Arthur ajs@optonline.net
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:13:00 -0500

>How do we go about being less subject to this kind of >criticism, to the
extent it is righteous criticism?

My question.
And my answer.

I would like to be able to say to Shriram:

There is no such thing as a "Python-in-education movement". You are raging
at vapor.

There are numbers of individuals, and teams of individuals, who happen to
have found the Python programming language useful in achieving goals related
to education  Some of us think that happens to be no coincidence.  The
language is well designed, with intent, to lend itself well to such goals.

Beyond that, there is - as well proven here - no consensus among those
individuals about much of anything.

And no particular concern among them, as to whether others decide to use
Python for their own education projects.

What movement?

I think the new edu-sig page better reflects *just the facts mam*. Who
happens to be doing what.

Though, honestly I wish it went a step or two further, in being *just* that.

Dammit - I don't know what was "pioneering" about the
Computer Programming for Everybody in concept or results - and if folks
chose to see my saying that as a gratuitous swipe at Guido, rather how I
intend it, as a plea for *just the facts mam* as the most Pythonic approach
to the involvement of its practitioners in the area of  education - so be
it.

Guido gets the credit he well deserves, and the gratitude of myself, among
others, as the designer of the programming language which many of us - each
in our own way - have found to be useful (in my case, actually,
*important*) in our lives.

Can we leave it at that, perhaps?

Art