[Edu-sig] re: license

Arthur Arthur" <ajs@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:49:12 -0500

Terry -

>You may not like how that developer's package works.  I personally agree
>with your opinion on the design issue (at least as far as I understand you
>-- I haven't seen the rebuttal, only your statement that you didn't
>understand it, which is hardly a strong case). But as I posted, you already
>have perfectly adequate remedies for it:

>* Use somebody else's package if there is one.

>* Make your own replacement (by patching or forking if possible).

OK, OK - I hereby put the license issue aside.

But I am also makling Free Software.  Not only am I making Free Software, I
am making it during my Free Time.

Yes, I can replace, fork, patch, redistribute. port, recode whatever.

All of which is time consuming. And, in this case, should be totally
unnecessary.

I am asking the distributor to do no more than bring his distribution into
reasonable compliance with normal practice, because I am otherwise
uncomfortable - trying myself to adhere to good practice - asking my users
to download that distribution.

Is the Free Software world possible, without some voluntary adherence to
standards?

Art