[Edu-sig] re: PyGeo distribution progress

Arthur Arthur" <ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:52:14 -0500

>Whatever it takes... God I really hope this does get re-solved now. So that
VP
>plays well with IDLE, and distutils, and PyGeo, or whatever else edusigists
>might cook up.

Agreed.

But there is essentially, within broad guidelines, what is recognized as a
right way to distribute a Python 3rd party package.  And what that standard
is has evolved and become clearer and more broadly accepted over the past
few years.

I am purely a volunteer developer, working on my own.

The VPython maintainers, have, or could have with a little effort, true
resources.  If there was the will to bring VPython into reasonable
compliance - with distutils, for example - it could happen easily enough.

I am somewhat paralyzed, because, for me it is a substantial effort - and it
seems clear that VPython "official" will have to get there, and will
eventually get there.

When?.

In the normal course, one would assume, if there not  otherwise indications
of unreasonableness. The simple fix of the overwrite of index.html -
literarily involving 4 keystrokes - rejected based on reasoning that was
convoluted in the extreme.

Oh well.

We'll see what we see.

ART