[Edu-sig] re: PyGeo distribution progress

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:31:16 -0500

> But the current VPython distribution gives exactly the opposite impression.
> It is not exaggerated, IMO, to call it at least a little viral.

Maybe, but virtually all software in somewhat viral in nature these days -
conceptually, installationally, screenwise, etc..  Certainly just about
everything Microsoft touches is viral above and below the lines of documented
visibility. Ditto all the competing media player/platforms.

Would be nice if Python was always installed on all machines and platforms.. or
would it?

> But how can this help but be "politcal".  David Scherer is alive and well.
> He wrote VPython.  What are his thoughts?

Well I guess if enough people write in to David and suggest/volunteer to 'fix'
VPython, we'll all be happy and benefit.

The way I remember it from a few years back, there was time when I really
appreciated VPython would just install and go. It was easier often than
installing Python on windows and then trying to get a bunch of packages lined
up. But it was disconnected from the rest and hard to connect - which goes
against the idea of open programmability.

Whatever it takes... God I really hope this does get re-solved now. So that VP
plays well with IDLE, and distutils, and PyGeo, or whatever else edusigists
might cook up.

./Jason