[Edu-sig] re: PyGeo distribution progress

Arthur Arthur" <ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:11:05 -0500

Sorry for my ususal bad habit of multiple posts.

But to complete the thought.

>But the bad news is VPython is now out of sync,

I would be the first to say that VPython is of more general usefulness for
educational purposes than is PyGeo, and in that sense is more "important"
than PyGeo.

One can argue either way about PyGeo.  I don't think it can be argued that
VPython is *not* an important contribution to the Python and education
effort.

And one of the true beauties of VPython is its small footprint under a
standard Python installation.  This will be even more true when the IDLE
situation is resolved. And is particularly true if someone - as many, many
people do - have other reasons to have Numeric installed.

But the current VPython distribution gives exactly the opposite impression.
It is not exaggerated, IMO, to call it at least a little viral.

But how can this help but be "politcal".  David Scherer is alive and well.
He wrote VPython.  What are his thoughts?

Not really fair to ask.

So I guess unless someone stops me, I proceed on my own path.

Art