[Edu-sig] re: Fw: pyGeo problems: linux progress

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:41:38 -0500

> Guess I should probably redo my distribution and installation instructions
> to place PyGeo in "site-packages" by default.  I'm thinking disutils is
> overkill for PyGeo so I'm just doing a .zip file distro.

No, distutils is *not* overkill.  Please consider using distutils; it
will make others' lives so much easier!  If you get stuck, I'll try to
help.

> But I can and will, after I experiment and confirm I undersand all the
> implications, change to a "site-packages" placement for PyGeo.

Is PyGeo itself currently a top-level package, or is it a collection
of top-level modules?  If the latter, I strongly recommend that you
make it a top-level package (and yes, changing all your imports is a
royal pain; but it's worth it, and again your future users will thank
you).