[Edu-sig] Sets

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:55:32 -0800

I'm been playing with the new Set class, added in 2.3a -- wondering
if others have been as well.

I'm gearing up to write something for the Math Forum, showing how
Python is a great tool for teaching math concepts -- using the new
Set object in particular (I've already posted oodles regarding
other apps, as per http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/numeracy0.html )

In general, it's more fun to have live/interactive notations (aka
interpreted programming languages) and the ability to program
algorithms means this isn't just black box arithmetic (the way
it is with calculators, at least when they're being abused).

More broadly, I'm brainstorming heuristics that'd anchor a different
way of approaching math (it would be more a hybrid of current
compartments -- more computer than currently standard).

Major categories like Time, Space, Objects and Events would be the
top-level key words.  For more thinking along these lines, see:

http://www.dstoys.com/Members/kirby/Works/documents/bigpicture.html/view
http://www.mathforum.org/epigone/math-learn/krermplumgul
http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/trends2000.html

Kirby