[Edu-sig] Re: PyOpenGL etc. in Python 2.3 (Windows)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Aug 6 10:25:06 EDT 2003

> I've too now have the Pygame and wxPython demos that use PyOpenGL
> working (except wxGLCanvas) -- in Python 2.3.

The wxGLCanvas seems to not run directly, but does run OK if run from
demo.py.  I don't think this has anything to do with pyopengl.  If you
conclude otherwise, I'd be interested.

>From things you mentioned recently, you might be interested in:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/IntegratingPyGame

There is some code that allows the integration of wxPython and pygame.

The demo at:

http://www.geocities.com/holtonemail/demo1screenshot.html

happens to use pyode, which is the Python wrapper to the Open Dynamics
Engine (ODE).  ODE is powerful stuff, written by someone who was the
architect of one of the major commerical libraries of the kind by a company
called MathEngine.

The wrapper pyd for PyODE is also available at my download site, as
previously mentioned  There the Windows compilation was a little less then
trivial (for me), since I had to compile ODE itself first. Anyway, I
encourage you to take it for a spin.

I have not done so yet, but PyODE should work wonderfully with VPython as
well as with pyopengl as the rendering engine.

All this is converging into to a *quite* interesting toolset, IMO.