Always Everywhere => was {Re: [Edu-sig] Fw: Python sequences by reference - how to make}

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:23:59 -0400

Interesting quotes.. thanks.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-September/123526.html

"Python uses reference semantics.  When you want a copy, you
ask for a copy -- it's as simple as this.  If you don't ask
for a copy, you don't get a copy... you get a reference to
the original.  There is no complication: it's _always_ this
way. " - Alex Martelli

That's a really helpful explanation. He writes so well :-)

> Presumably fish don't find water "clearly VISIBLE", being used to that,
> much as it is for us and air.  When something "is *EVERYWHERE*", how
> can it be "clearly VISIBLE" at the same time?-)

[OT]
I am not questioning the Python copy() suggestions, but regarding fish in water,
and people in air, don't you think it is also always and everywhere a matter of
context and degree?
It's fun to extend the analogy to how are are with this programming stuff..

Water is not just water, as Air is not just air.

Very deep sea fish effectively live without sunlight, though often with other
photo/electro-phoresence of other species. [cf. 'lantern fish']. They develop
some very strange physical forms to adapt. sound, smell, taste, current
temperature.
http://people.whitman.edu/~yancey/deepsea.html

Mid-depth fish must be more aware of light. But yes still spend 100% of their
lives in water.

Surface fish many of them know well here the edges are. water vs. surface + air

People despite spending their lives in air, are likewise conscious to a greater
or lesser degree, thanks to our senses. Clean air, fresh air, hayfevers,
humidity, old icy air, hot dust, sea breezes, city air mountain air, [stinky new
york august air], etc..

As kids we are fascinated with holding our breath, putting our heads in plastic
bags, going in closets etc. Firemen, smokers and sick or dying people have
another more serious sensibility. Athletes, swimmers and lovers celebrate
consciousness of existence and air.

Meditation practices focus on the essence and meaning of breath - in/out, who we
are, and how time, mind and body are affected.

regards
./Jason