[Edu-sig] Fw: Python sequences by reference - how to make

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:57:58 -0400

I vowed not to make a mission of my copy import issue.  And in my mind am
living with it.  But I do think it is an intersting point to discuss.

Happens the the Quote of the Week from this weeks Dr Dobbs weekly Python URL
http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/ is a Martelli quote that is from his
response to the same post from Michal
to python-list that instigating the discussion here.

QOTW:
"When something "is *EVERYWHERE*", how can it be "clearly VISIBLE" at the
same time?" - Alex Martelli
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-September/123526.html

A slightly fuller excerpt:

"""

*EVERY* assignment in Python uses reference semantics.  Every occurrence
of an assignment, therefore, makes reference behavior "clearly VISIBLE".

Presumably fish don't find water "clearly VISIBLE", being used to that,
much as it is for us and air.  When something "is *EVERYWHERE*", how
can it be "clearly VISIBLE" at the same time?-)

"""

Is it possible that "copy" clearly in the game as a built_in makes us
slightly more amphibious?

Hate to think that Martelli's suggestion that math types might need to stick
with languages that implement a more uniformly functional model, is the only
answer to this issue.

Art